Skin Health - Why Lack Of Sleep During Menopause Can Cause Havoc With Your Skin & Our Top 10 Tips To Help
October 8th 2017
Once Upon A Time I Used To Sleep...
If you’re suffering from sleep deprivation during menopause, you’re not alone. It’s one of the top symptoms women complain about, and rightly so, as it can have a major impact on your daily life. Hormone imbalance is the culprit and can emphasis mood swings, lack of motivation and energy, weight gain and generally worsen most signs of menopause you're experiencing.
Apart from lack of sleep exaggerating menopausal symptoms, it also has a dramatic effect on skin health, with lines, wrinkles, dryness and dark circles all becoming more apparent
Sleep is a time for the body to heal, renew and eliminate toxins from the skin. When sleep is reduced, so is the body’s ability to carry out these functions
As you transit through menopause and that much needed sleep eludes you night after night, it will begin to show in your skin age, and even make you look up to ten years older, due to the stress-induced changes in facial tissue. The term beauty sleep” is more than an expression.
Beauty Sleep Is More Than Skin Deep...
Of course, everyone looks better after a good night’s sleep but this observation is backed by science. As the body settles into the deepest stage of rest, growth hormones peak and stimulate cell and tissue repair. Without enough deep sleep, the repair process of your skin will be slowed, resulting in accelerated ageing.
Sleep deprivation can cause skin damage at a number of levels. It can raise the cortisol levels, hence it can worsen inflammatory conditions. Poor collagen formation also takes place with sleep deprivation, leading to sagging, loss of firmness and deeper lines and wrinkles becoming permanently etched on the face.
Collagen loss is also dramatically exaggerated by the decline of oestrogen during menopause. Without this vital hormone the body does not make sufficient collagen to keep skin plump and firm.
In addition there is increased oxidative stress at cellular level and the accumulation of this 'oxidative stress' can lead to poor skin quality and premature ageing. Poor lymphatic drainage and fluid accumulation leads to puffy eyes or the appearance of dark circles around the eyes.
Top 10 Tips To Make Sure You Get Enough Sleep During Menopause
1. Switch off all screens such as the TV, tablets and mobiles at least an hour before bed, so you can focus on unwinding.
2. Burn a scented candle while reading or listening to soothing music. and have a bowl of dried hops & lavender on your bedside table for their sleep inducing qualities.
3. Take a bath with Epsom salts, or take magnesium supplements to relax muscles and reduce stress.
4. Drink herbal tea such as camomile or banana.
5. Use Valerian supplements as a natural sleep enhancer.
6. Use ear plugs and eye masks to block any external factors that may disturb you.
7. Relax and unwind before bed with Phytomones Sleepless Nights Calming Face Oil. Designed specifically for hormonal skin ageing. This gorgeous oil is rich in native plant hormones and will deeply nourish and replenish your tired skin, bringing a radiant complexion by sunrise.
8. Meditation before bed can help you relax and quieten a busy or troubled mind.
9. Stretching helps the body relax tense muscles and bring warmth to joints and surrounding tissues. Lie on your bed, stretch your arms and legs and feel the energy move through your body.
10. Keep a bowl of dried hops & lavender on your bedside table for their sleep inducing qualities and spritz pillow with a lavender spray.
The Autumn Balancing Ritual Duo Free Body Oil
A soothing body & soul balancing skin care ritual set, especially for you. It will see you through the darkest days thisautumn, and you are going to love it!
The intoxicatingaromasfound in our luxurioustherapeuticoils will nourish your skin and feed your soul, while the rich source of native plant hormones gently calm the imbalance in your body.
ThisBalancingRitual skin care duo is perfect for keeping things together, when you thought they were falling apart - both physically and mentally!! Brightbeautiful skinand a calm, controlled mind.